All - Activity - rmb - Algorand
Long term incentives for running Relay Node
Hacking doesn’t always seek to directly steal something of value. Graffiti in the analogue world & perhaps DDoS in the digital world (or an even more subtle disruption that selectively targets the smooth flow of pending transactions across the network). If the disruption of the network can be advantageous for some parties, it creates a complex incentive structure.
Fast Catchup not working for our node on MainNet
I will certainly try to increase the retry attempts, but I’m also going to need to reconfigure my old test laptop which currently has 4GB RAM and 3GB swap. It was thrashing to the point of timeout and if it really needs 7GB of virtual memory then it will still not work until there is a way of limiting the memory usage.
Can algo support Permissioned blockchain?
I agree that it is within the realms of standard networking constructs - but this would still be a bolt-on rather than an integral part of a permissioned, private blockchain. If any one operator of a "private" node did not adhere to the network bolt-on policies across all the nodes they operate then it undermines the entire structure.
Node start and stop errors
Thanks for the confirmation. Let’s hope that not too many nodes are unable to auto-update - or at least their admins intervene quickly. Memory constraints were my first thought - thanks for sharing your experience.
Node synchronization time
@tsachi, I see that we now have documentation about "Sync Node Network using Fast Catchup". I’ll be testing this out over the coming days. My ancient machine with a sub-optimal storage device has been struggling, but I’m aiming to get it optimized.
I’ve been encountering delays with synchronization recently due to resource constraints, particularly with older hardware.
Newbie questions about config.json
I can answer my first two questions from experience: A config.json in /var/lib/algorand_testnet/ results in the testnet instance operating using that config. This is independent of the configuration used for the mainnet instance. A change of "Archival" from false to true results in the node starting up differently, allowing for more efficient processing.
Additional Notes
It’s critical to be cautious when setting up configurations, as misconfigurations can lead to significant downtime which may have implications on operational costs. Techniques such as utilizing Fast Catchup can alleviate some of the burdens during initial synchronization phases.
I’m looking forward to utilizing this information to better configure my setup and ensure efficient performance.