All - Activity - ihagopian - Algorand
Sumhash512 Rust implementation
Hey folks!
I did a Rust implementation of the sumhash512 cryptographic hash function that is part of Algorand’s state proofs. The reference implementation is done in Go. If you’d like more about this work, you can check an article I wrote. If you like diving into technical details about this work…
Algoexplorer Stake Rewards full state and Tradeable Supply Released
Oh, sorry about the confusion. I can confirm that’s also my case. Current balances seem to be more accurate for out-of-the-game accounts, so maybe they get updated when particular events happen in them. I’m guessing anyway, Pablo would have a better answer.
Seems to me that the balances are correct. What’s shown there is the staked balance at the point of registration. It should match with the balance of your account published here. Your current balance will tend to grow by participating rewards.
How anonymous/private are transactions, versus say Monero, Zcash?
The money-laundering argument is often used to justify banning the use of encryption for the general population. If you are concerned about optimizing for government adoption, I agree with both that they wouldn’t like it. Another interesting discussion is the assumptions about the honest behavior.
Where in Go-Algorand code is leader selected
Yep, is that one. I’ll update the link since when the new website was published some links were invalidated.
When you say "we" who are you referring to? Just asking since your username can confuse other people as a possible authoritative voice of the Algorand team. Referring to your argument, I think the opposite: anonymity is something that will make a blockchain more adoptable.
I can recommend you an article that explains a bit slower the rationale of leader election compared to the whitepaper. I’m not recommending this article because I wrote it, but when I read the paper to answer your same question I thought that might be useful for others in the future to understand…
Mobile wallet security doubt
Despite someone can give you a reasonable answer to your question, I’d say the best advice is to not trust it. Not because of bad intentions, but other possible risks. You can have a main wallet with more security considerations, and another ‘mobile’ wallet which you can have some low balance just enough.
How to backup the wallet if the wallet mnemonic words not recorded?
I’d be very careful with a wallet you can’t recover, meaning that trying to do the minimum and safest actions with it since playing with code may be too risky. I’d consider creating a new wallet (carefully saving the mnemonic) and simply transferring to the new one. Then, if you want, try to recover it…
Sent Algo from Coinbase
Out of curiosity, doesn’t every last 4 bytes of an address correspond to a checksum? Just asking since you mentioned: “If the address…
Algorand consensus, is BA not necessary?
Assuming the description of the alternative algorithm is complete and it isn’t a sketch or similar: If the block proposer is malicious it may propose multiple blocks to honest users. If that’s the case, in his step b), nobody will finish. So, the question is: what does the protocol say about this?
Account and Key Security - Operations on Offline Machine
You’re welcome! I must say that this explanation is correct now, maybe in the future the answer can be different. I don’t know all future plans, but it may seem reasonable that from some moment on every node won’t calculate the balance of every possible address.
Informally speaking, the balance of any account is the sum of all +in and -out transactions in the blockchain history for that account (plus fees, min balances, close-to, etc). If an account doesn’t have any transactions yet, you can think of having balance 0.
Offline stake--Why does it exist?
I think the deepest motivation of correctly setting your online/offline state is to allow the blockchain to adjust internal parameters related to the cryptographic sortition. The sortition has some optimal expected values that want to achieve for safety, and your total population size should be tuned.
Source code published?
What’s the point of participant nodes if staking offline earns the same?
Currently, rewards are proportional to how many Algos you hold. Nowhere is mentioned that running a participating node is required to get those rewards. That’s why you’d get Algos just holding the tokens in your mobile wallet.
How do I configure my node to connect to the MainNet?
I think you can know more about it in this thread.
Do offline accounts get rewards?
By stake it means Algos, not any other kind of hardware resource since it doesn’t rely on Proof of Work consensus but Proof of Stake. I’d recommend taking a look at this video from Silvio. So yes, if you don’t have Algos, you’ll not get rewards.
Windows/desktop Wallet
Did you check then available Apps? They are very intuitive.
Algroand go sdk SignTransaction wrong
Also, it might be better to use SuggestedParams() in order to get the suggested fee dynamically (if you agree on a reasonable weighted average calculation).
Running private lotteries attack
To complement what @algorand-sybil said (which its username is funny for this thread discussion). The most important point of not injecting new users in the system is being completely sure that all the keys that participate in sortition with seed Qr, weren’t created knowing what the value of Qr was.
Detail of the consensus protocol
The insight for answering your question is how many votes an honest node would want to see before being sure that the majority of honest node agree on it. Example: imagine there’re 100 honest and 1 malicious. If you’re an honest node and see that there’re 52 votes for the same value, you can be sure.
Since the source-code isn’t public yet, I can’t be 100% sure about the implementation; but I guess every public key sends a single message which has a voting-power that could be verified by checking the sortition algorithm for that key.