All - Activity - hbquikcomjamesl - Algorand

Can somebody connect me with a good explanation of smart signatures?

Jun 2, 2023

My understanding is that something like this could work without a smart contract of any kind (or with something already out there as an API, e.g., one of Circle’s offerings), but that a smart contract would provide an added measure of trustworthiness, by limiting the payee’s ability to withdraw from…


Reach, PyTeal, Beaker, AlgoKit, and something I've been wondering about, regarding safety

Apr 21, 2023

Fascinating. (Or as Groucho said, “I’m fascinated too: right here on the arm.”)


Just had a thought about a “cutting-the-Gordian-Knot” solution to a billing application

Apr 21, 2023

Just had a thought about a “cutting-the-Gordian-Knot” solution to a billing application: something so low-tech, so absurdly simple, that it never occurred to me: Just give the customer full access to a blockchain account, and instructions to fund it at their convenience: The vendor then pulls the s…


Great gobs of gooseflesh.

Apr 21, 2023

What’s “K”? Other than the letter after “J,” and the character Tommy Lee Jones played in the Men in Black movies? (For pity’s sake, why can’t people give development tools names that are easy to search for on Google and Wikipedia? Like RPG [before it became a game genre,…


Reach’s big claim to fame

Apr 21, 2023

Reach’s big claim to fame (other than that they’re endeavoring to be a cross-platform blockchain solution) is that their compiler does a great deal of theorem-proving, in order to avoid producing anything that could cause tokens to vanish irretrievably into a proverbial black hole.


But how is a proxy account all that different from the payor simply sending a lump-sum?

Apr 21, 2023

But how is a proxy account all that different from the payor simply sending a lump-sum? And what “legal implications” in the case of a payment not going through, other than the payee having the right to suspend whatever service is being paid for? (e.g., it seems like at least once a year, I have to…


I can certainly understand objections to smart signatures.

Apr 20, 2023

I can certainly understand objections to smart signatures. For my own part, there is only one entity in the world that has pre-authorized withdrawal access to my checking account (The Bureau of the Public Debt, and that only in connection with Treasure Note tenders I’ve explicitly issued), only two …


I’ve just now read both the “What is the difference between smart signatures and smart contracts” thread

Apr 19, 2023

I’ve just now read both the “What is the difference between smart signatures and smart contracts” thread and the “Protecting Funds in Smart Signature Contract Accounts” thread. I find this intriguing, in part because I’ve been tasked with researching (if not necessarily coding) a periodic (typicall…


I completed the Reach “Trust Fund” workshop last year

Feb 17, 2023

I completed the Reach “Trust Fund” workshop last year, as part of the path towards learning how to set up a periodic payment system. And then I diverted from that path into the new “RSVP” Reach API tutorial. I’ve revisited the Trust Fund workshop, in order to get back on track. In that workshop, th…


After going through Kathryn “Blondiebytes” Hodge’s “Ten Days of Blockchain” video tutorial twice

Feb 28, 2022

After going through Kathryn “Blondiebytes” Hodge’s “Ten Days of Blockchain” video tutorial twice (following along the second time), I’m back to the Reach version of “Alice’s Auction” (this time with a fighting chance of understanding what I’m looking at.)


You’re not going to believe this one

Feb 3, 2022

It turned out to be a typo. Which was spotted a little over an hour after I joined the Reach community on Reddit, and posted the problem there. It’s not “loadStdLib,” with the second “L” capitalized. It’s “loadStdlib.”


Ms. Hodge’s video series doesn’t say anything about “nodejs”

Feb 16, 2022

Ms. Hodge’s video series doesn’t say anything about “nodejs,” and the Reach docs (specifically the “frontends” page) says that if you’re launching via “./reach run,” Reach itself will handle finding and installing the “@reach/stdlib” itself.


I can see the GitHub repository just fine

Feb 2, 2022

I can see the GitHub repository just fine, and its readme file. But when I follow the link to this “buildweb3,” it refuses to connect.


Interesting.

Jan 27, 2022

So a Smart Signature is a type of Smart Contract, and all Smart Contracts are written in TEAL. I haven’t looked very deeply into this yet, but what I see about recurring payments seems to be based on “rounds,” rather than on the passage of a specified amount of time. Wouldn’t that res…


Suppose we have a utility – water, electricity, phone, gas, ISP, whatever

Jan 27, 2022

Suppose we have a utility – water, electricity, phone, gas, ISP, whatever – or perhaps a charity. And we want customers (or donors, in the case of a charity) to be able to set up scheduled payments (certainly common enough; my ISP bill works that way, dinging my debit card once a month; my dad has s…


Something I don’t quite understand about the “Your First Transaction” demonstration

Jan 20, 2022

Something I don’t quite understand about the “Your First Transaction” demonstration (and I’m doing my best to avoid sounding confrontational): I’ve got all three of the accounts I created in the “Getting Started” Java class (from the Java “My First Transaction” page) tied to a wallet on my Chromebo…


Different behavior today

Jan 20, 2022

The first time I tried to bring up Sandbox (with the Indexer Version lines still commented out), it got as far as “algod - goal node status” and then crashed with Cannot contact Algorand node: Get "http://[::]:4001/v2/status": dial tcp [::]:4001: connect: cannot assign re…