All - Activity - Burninglight - Algorand

Feedback request on proposed Q4 2022 governance measures

First, @Adri appreciate the time taken with the response and the amendments made to the proposals. Additionally, I appreciate there was much more explanation provided, including callbacks to previous discussions that have been discussed by the community in this forum.

Measure 1 - I have previously …


High level, I’m fine with Measure 1, option A, and Measure 2, Option B. There has been plenty of discussion in previous quarters about the need to rebalance rewards and get xGov off the ground. I will say though the Foundation needs to get this going as it feels like we’ve been waiting for awhile no…


@Massimo In regards to community outreach, does the Foundation have any communication with exchanges, or other “whales” to discuss its proposals and why the Foundation would want to see one side win? There is a good post on reddit this morning discussing the breakdown of voting results: https://www…


I don’t disagree that in general people should understand that greater reward=greater risk. Having said that, there are numerous examples in crypto (and traditional finance as you’ve noted) where average folks don’t understand this. I think its pretty fair to assume that a sizeable number of users …


Perhaps I have misunderstood the proposal by the foundation, but can you explain why exactly there is dilution occurring with these proposals/forcing people into defi? Are we saying this is occurring due to the increased rewards being given to Defi, or are you saying that someone who holds Algo in …


I recall making a similar point in the last quarterly vote that if the structure results in Defi protocol X making a block vote with its users Algo, there is risk of creating a similar issue. My hope would be that we could instead work around this by having Defi X put the measure to its users, and …


Such thinking is the main reason why crypto in general has not yet flourished the way it could, and why there have been so many scammed “investors”. The purpose of acquiring cryptocurrencies is to ensure security and unconfiscatability of value as well as its trustless and efficient transacting.


You have a volunteer governance program already. What you are proposing is simply removing the rewards, and all I’m saying is you will see dramatic reduction in participation, and potentially a good number of holders who go elsewhere. Rather than run people off, I would rather us try to convince the…


I’m not sure that I agree with analogizing Algorand with a sovereign nation, as they are completely different institutions with very different goals. You say that Algorand is not a corporation, but it is more closely related to one than a nation. No one (or at least very few) is buying Algorand for …


Except it isn’t free money. You are required to lock up for 3 months, and required to participate in votes. The rewards are consideration given for that. I agree that we want active holders. Again if you want to have an argument about the amount given that’s fine, but this whole tear down thing you’…


I don’t agree they aren’t trying to rock the boat. Simply need to look at the last governance voting round to see that they are willing to put ideas out there and I wouldn’t call them cautious in having made the proposal. This time around they are understanding community positions better which is wh…


Oh I don’t disagree, a material decline in the rewards would not be on its face popular with the folks at governance, and that’s why I’m supportive of this workaround. Having said that, theoretically I would like to see the community discuss at a future point this topic if we are still struggling wi…


At a high level, I’m in agreement with the intention of both proposals and want to give credit to the foundation for taking the feedback it got with the last vote and working to make a better proposal overall. We want to incentivize Defi while not making it broken, and the first proposal is a nice w…


I also made this point in the main thread on the Defi proposals for period 3. I can be sympathetic to the economics where currently there isn’t a ton of incentive to use Defi when you have a stable 8% APR in governance. If governance rates were lower it would hopefully drive some better engagement i…