Transaction note size - Algorand
Transaction note size
post by rhern336 on Jun 28, 2021
Hello,
I want to know if there is a hardcoded limit to the size of a transaction? I want to use the notes that can be attached to transactions, I saw somewhere 1024 bytes, is this correct? Or can I go higher than this amount of space?
Thank you.
post by tsachi on Jun 29, 2021
The Algorand blockchain was not meant for storing large amount of data. It’s oriented toward supporting high transactional throughput. In order to achieve that, some tradeoffs have been made.
One of these tradeoffs is limited transaction size. The recommended solution is to use the notes field to store the hash and URL of an internet storage location where the data resides, while using the blockchain as the “proof” or “registry” of the existence for the data.
This is, by the way, a very common pattern when creating NFT - the NFTs contain some rich HTML/JPEG content that is stored in an external URL. The said URL is stored on the blockchain.