Sandbox mainnet process - General - Algorand

Sandbox mainnet process

post by isha on Aug 11, 2022

Hi all,

I am trying to run my project on mainnet through sandbox.

I have to run ./sandbox up mainnet before starting my server.

If I don’t do it I get null for information that I am trying to fetch from blockchain.

It also takes too long to catch up like at least 2-3 hours or so.

Is there any solution for this?

post by fabrice on Aug 11, 2022

Can you provide sandbox.log?

Can you show what you see when doing ./sandbox up mainnet and what steps take too long?

Catching up with mainnet requires an SSD, at least 4-8GB of RAM, and a fast enough Internet connection (at least 10Mbps) due to the amount of transactions on MainNet.

If you’re using an HDD or an SD card, this won’t work.

post by isha on Aug 12, 2022

* docker compose up -d
Building algod
Sending build context to Docker daemon  139.3kB
Step 1/25 : ARG GO_VERSION=1.17.5
...

This takes very long…and I have to do it every time before starting my application server…

If I don’t get null as a response.

post by fabrice on Aug 12, 2022

Indeed, it looks like the fast catchup itself is very slow on your computer.

Usually this is because: you don’t have enough RAM (you need 4-8GB), you are not using a fast enough SSD (SD and HDD cards are not sufficient), your Internet connection is too slow.

Are you in any of these three cases?

post by isha on Aug 16, 2022

Yeah looks like RAM is not enough. I am using AWS virtual machine so it’s not as per you have mentioned. My internet is good.

I’ll check if I can get a better config for catchup to run.