Cannot construct transaction: unknown consensus protocol when using goal clerk send - General - Algorand

Cannot construct transaction: unknown consensus protocol when using goal clerk send

post by alberkom on Aug 20, 2020

Running a participation node on MainNet.

When trying to send some algos using goal clerk send I’m getting the following error:

cannot construct transaction: unknown consensus protocol https://github.com/algorandfoundation/specs/tree/e5f565421d720c6f75cdd186f7098495caf9101f

however I’ve updated my node to the latest version and it is in sync using the required consensus protocol:

I could confirm this by running goal node status:

Last committed block: 8584910

Time since last block: 4.1s

Sync Time: 0.0s

Last consensus protocol: https://github.com/algorandfoundation/specs/tree/e5f565421d720c6f75cdd186f7098495caf9101f

Next consensus protocol: https://github.com/algorandfoundation/specs/tree/e5f565421d720c6f75cdd186f7098495caf9101f

Round for next consensus protocol: 8584911

Next consensus protocol supported: true

Genesis ID: mainnet-v1.0

Genesis hash: wGHE2Pwdvd7S12BL5FaOP20EGYesN73ktiC1qzkkit8=

Am I missing something here?

Any help is much appreciated.

post by JasonW on Aug 21, 2020

Can you post the command you used?

post by alberkom on Aug 21, 2020

Hi Jason, thank you for your reply. I manage to fix the issue using ./ before the command:

./goal clerk send

post by fabrice on Aug 21, 2020

Can you run:


./goal version -v
./algod -v

One issue might be that you have installed the software in multiple places and ./goal is not the same version as of the goal command running the node.

post by alberkom on Aug 21, 2020

Hi fabrice, thanks for your reply. What you describe is exactly what was happening.

./goal from the latest install location fixed the unknown consensus protocol issue. Cheers.